If you are facing Reboot and select proper boot device error or Insert boot media in selected boot device, then read more to Fix it on Windows devices.
The “Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device” error message appears when the operating system (OS) cannot connect to the hard disk or drive. It refers to a BIOS error; you may receive the error message on any PC or laptop operating on Windows 7/8/10. It always appears on Toshiba, ASUS, Gigabyte, and Acer PC or laptop.
The leading causes of “Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device” issues are Inaccessible boot devices, Corrupt BIOS/UEFI installation, Brokenbootloader, corrupt hard drive, Damaged hardware, and many more. if you facing this error so many users are confused, panic and tense, don’t worry in this article we provide easy steps to solve it The ‘reboot and select proper boot device’ error occurs when BIOS cannot detect the device on which Windows 7/8/10.
With so many various solutions available here, you can quickly fix this “Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device” error in Windows 10/8/7. According to the error, you may also reboot the PC, hoping that it will fix the error.
- Install Kodi 17.1 on Windows
- Download Kodi Isengard V15.2 Open Source For Windows, Android
- How to Fix Cannot Connect to App Store
Content Include on This Article
- 0.1 What is Reboot And Select Properties?
- 0.2 what are the causes for Reboot and Select proper Boot device errors?
- 1 9 Easy Solutions To Fix Reboot And Select Proper Boot Device Error:
- 1.1 Solution 1: Check The Power Cable:
- 1.2 Solution 2: Disable or Activate Legacy Boot:
- 1.3 Solution 3: Use Diskpart:
- 1.4 Solution 4: Check System Boot Order in BIOS:
- 1.5 Solution 6: Clean the RAM:
- 1.6 Solution 7: Reinstall Windows:
- 1.7 Solution 8: BIOS Default Setting:
- 1.8 Solution 9: To Activate an Inactive Partition use a command prompt
What is Reboot And Select Properties?
If you are among those Windows applicants who wish to upgrade to a bigger hard drive by downloading or installing an extra hard disk drive (HDD). There is a maximum chance that you may receive a Reboot and Select proper Boot device Windows 10 error message while booting your PC after replacing the hard drive.
Based on the creator of BIOS in each particular motherboard, the message that occurs may be slightly dissimilar, but the meaning remains similar. You need to complete the PC’s request; else, it will still fail to load the operating system. The “Reboot And Select Proper Boot Device” appears because of many reasons.
what are the causes for Reboot and Select proper Boot device errors?
the reboot and select proper boot device error to occur in on windows operating system it seems to your computer operating system/BIOS not detecting proper hard drive that contains your operating system. it causes to a black screen to appear on the desktop to reboot, to fix this select the proper driver on your computer that contains your operating system and reboot from that hard drive. it includes having some hardware(physical ) and software(logical) problems.
Hardware problems include connection of hardware components on the motherboard like boot disk connected to board is not properly connected to your hardware, hard drive damage or corrupted by viruses, lost the required files for the operating system by damage of boot disk, cables used for hardware connection are damaged and slots provided in motherboard are damaged.
Software problems include partitioning boot is inactive, corrupted master boot record (MBR), boot file effected by virus or lost, sequence of boot selection in bios has wrong or operating system corrupted by a virus.
So users don’t panic while facing these issues we are providing the most efficient solutions to fix all these issues in this article.
9 Easy Solutions To Fix Reboot And Select Proper Boot Device Error:
Solution 1: Check The Power Cable:
- First of all, turn off your PC or laptop and unplug it from the power source also.
- After that, eliminate the cabinet and see the cable attaching your hard drive to the motherboard.
- If you search for any wear split in the cable (which is likely to happen over time), replace the old wire with the latest one. If you search for a loose connection, disassemble the wire and reconnect it correctly.
- But you never search the physical loss to the wire, nor it is attached inappropriately, and then proceed to the next solution.
Solution 2: Disable or Activate Legacy Boot:
- Here, it will help if you restart your laptop or PC. On startup, instantly enter your PC’s UEFI settings menu.
- Search the “Legacy Boot” option, which comes under the UEFI settings. If the Legacy Boot option is allowed, then deactivate it. If it is deactivated, then allow it.
- Apply the above changes and restart your laptop or PC.
- When your PC or laptop boots up, check to see if the “Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device” persists.
Solution 3: Use Diskpart:
- Firstly, place the recovery media into your PC or laptop.
- After that, restart your system and boot the media from the system you have placed.
- The “System Recovery” choices window will show on the screen, so you have to choose “Troubleshoot” and hit on the “Advanced” option.
- Now, choose ‘Command Prompt’ and mention ‘Diskpart’ and press the “Enter” button to continue.
- Finally, mention the ‘Diskpart’ and hit on the “Enter” tab. The ‘X’ is known as the disk’s name where the operating system is downloaded.
Solution 4: Check System Boot Order in BIOS:
- To enter the BIOS of your PC, you have to reboot your system.
- You need to enter the Esc, Delete, F2, F8, F10, or F12 key, to enter the BIOS menu of your PC or laptop.
- The key to enter the Boot menu differs from PC to PC and depends on what computer brand you are operating.
- After that, launch the Boot tab to show the latest boot order used by your PC.
- Ensure that your Hard Disk is chosen as the primary option. After applying all the changes, you have to press the “Save the Settings” button under the BIOS menu.
Solution 5: Change the CMOS Battery:
The CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor) battery is a small circular cell situated in your switchboard. If it is broken or failing, there it is likely that you will encounter the “Reboot and select proper Boot device” error.
- Firstly, launch your PC’s cover, use the motherboard, and remove or uninstall the CMOS battery.
- After that, grasp the power button for a few seconds to release any remaining charge. Finally, change the CMOS battery to the other one.
- Download Flipswitch Centralized Toggle System For iOS
- Why I Could Not Activate Cellular Data Network on New iPhone
- How to Fix Your Computer Restarted Because of a Problem Press a Key or Wait a Few Seconds
Solution 6: Clean the RAM:
RAM is another important physical device that may cause various problems, comprising Reboot and Select a Proper Boot Device Error during the boot time if not removed or cleaned the RAM over the past years. So, to remove the error, you have to clean the RAM.
- Please turn off your PC and unplug it from the main switchboard.
- Delete the outer cabinet by removing the screws from the upper side and bottom side.
- Then search the RAM in the CPU, which is on the switchboard itself.
- After opening the RAM from the hold, gently delete or remove it from its location.
- Clean the upper, lower side of RAM with a cotton cloth or a soft brush. After removing the RAM dirt, put it back in its location, lock it, and close the cabinet.
Solution 7: Reinstall Windows:
- First of all, you have to generate bootable media with its Media Creator and start the computer again from the media.
- Now, run the “MiniToolShadowMaker,” which comes under the “MiniTool PE Loader” page.
- After that, select the files you have to restore or back up and the goal path you wish to save the files.
- Open the backup by pressing the “Back Up Now” button.
- At last, you may reinstall the desired Windows without worrying about misplacing the necessary files.
Solution 8: BIOS Default Setting:
BIOS default set process takes a long time to solve the issues, if your windows bios not having proper set to its default values can lead to instability. This case causes reboot and selects proper boot device error generation. To reboot your windows and bios there is an option that allows you to load optimal defaults. Load the defaults and restart.
Solution 9: To Activate an Inactive Partition use a command prompt
The whole hard disk is partitioned into drives, if your primary hard disk drive partition on your windows boot disk is inactive then that time “reboot and select proper boot device” error will be raised. By activating the primary hard disk you solve this error. You must need a media disk for windows operating system installation, following steps to activate the drive.
- Follow the on-screen instructions until you get the option to repair, restore, or recover your computer.
- Click any of these and you will either see a System Recovery Options screen on Windows 7/Vista or a Troubleshoot screen on Win 10/8.
- Choose the command prompt from the list and enter the command line diskpart [enter].
- Then enter the command line list disk [enter] to get a list of disks installed on the computer.
- Then enter the command line select disk 0[or whichever disk is the one with the inactive partition on it] and hit [enter].
- Then enter the command line list partition 1 [or whichever partition is the inactive one] and hit [enter].
- Then enter the command line active [enter] to mark it as active.
- The partition that has been made active will be shown by the disk part.
- Exit the command line and restart your computer to see if the error persists.
- Steps to Fix Macbook Stuck on Apple Logo with Loading Bar
- Download api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll for Windows 7 64-bit
- How to Stop Unwanted Emails on iPhone
The “Reboot and select proper boot device” is a terrible error that troubles all Windows OS versions (operating system). It is a BIOS error; you may get it on any PC operating Windows 10 or any other earlier version of the Windows operating system. It is the best time to apply the above methods to solve or fix the “Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in particular boot device.
Thank’s for choosing OM Geeky, for more updates, visit back to omgeeky.com
Myself Naveena, introducing myself new to this profession, I am so much fascinated to write the tech-based stuff and willing to write the expository and narrative topics and my main intention is to deliver and share the knowledge to users by interacting with them about the various technologies, I love cooking, gardening and travel.