If you are facing high CPU usage issue on your Windows PC/Laptop, then read more to know How to Fix Service Host Superfetch to solve high CPU Usage.
Do you have a computer at your home? If yes, you might have seen the situation of running a PC into a problem that it will not behold and the usage of the disk becomes nearly 100% due to Service Host Superfetch System. Whenever you get into this problem, that is a good solution to get out of this.
This article is completely about how to handle this critical situation. Before you get to know how to solve the high CPU usage issue, you should know what Service Host Superfetch actually is. If you learn about Service Host Superfetch, you will get a clear idea of your problem.
Content Include on This Article
What Do You Mean By Service Host Superfetch?
Superfetch is considered as one of the parts of Windows Vista and onwards. This technology lets Windows OS handle random memory in order to make your apps perform effectively. It assists critical Windows components and third-party applications in accomplishing the normal tasks quickly. To perform these tasks, Superfetch reads and stores data for applications that are regularly used right from RAM in place of restoring to the hard drive.
Superfetch is somewhat similar to dry catching. It moves all your common files into the RAM so that the programs will boot faster. But in case your system does not equip the latest software, high CPU usage can easily increase because of service host Superfetch. It is not always an issue to have a high CPU usage due to this service. It all depends on the operation of the service to maximize your system performance.
So whenever you find that your Windows 10 PC is taking much of your CPU usage, you can consider our steps and bonus tips to avoid such a problem. There are many uses of the windows which are complaining about this issue. However, there is nothing to worry about this, as this problem can be fixed. Therefore, you can try out our true solutions to overcome the problem of high CPU usage due to Service Host Superfetch.
- Fix Windows Could Not Automatically Detect This Network’s Proxy Settings on Windows 8
- How to Fix Error Code 227
- Why Unknown USB Device (device descriptor request failed) on Windows 10 Code 43
- How to Fix Driver IRQL Not Less Or Equal on Windows 7
What are the Benefits of Service Host Superfetch?
- It examines and considers those applications and programs that you use most often. Therefore it can be located and opened much faster.
- RAM is the one that reads these applications but not the hard drive. The use of Service Host Superfetch is much more effective as the computer has been brought into less work before opening an application which helps you to save a lot of time.
What Is The Necessity To Fix High CPU Usage?
However, we have discussed why we are getting this high disk usage alert but we need to know what happens if we don’t fix this alert those are mentioned below.
- If you don’t fix the high CPU usage alert in Superfetch then your system performance will be gradually brought down so make sure to fix it.
- In addition to this, your drive behaves like normal but there will be some internal issues like it lags and it doesn’t respond according to your needs.
- Moreover, gradually it makes your pc to struck and hang which makes your PC not to work properly.
- If you keep that problem for a long time then your PC will be permanently damaged and there is nothing you could do at that time.
So, fixing the high disk usage in less time is an important factor in order to improve your system performance otherwise you will see the worst effects on your PC.
What is the connection between High CPU Usage and Service Host Superfetch?
To make the Service Host Superfetch operate well, you require high CPU usage. Or else, this service might fail by rising the confusion and getting everything into a mess. Also, it will impede the normal work of the computer, mainly games and other huge applications. This is the reason why Service Host Superfetch makes high usage of CPU. However, there are several ways to fix Service Host Superfetch to solve the high CPU usage issue, which is as follows:
1. Disabling Service Host Superfetch to Overcome High CPU Usage
Even though Superfetch makes efficient must-load programs and reduces the boot time, it has been considered as a cause of CPU performance problems in Windows 8 and other versions of Windows, including Windows 10. However, you can disable this service.
Method 1: Disable Superfetch Service in Windows Versions
- Step 1: You have to press Windows + R alternatively, and then you have to type Run up in the search box of Windows 10. After that, you have to type services. msc in the box called “Open” and then select “OK”.
- Step 2: Next, how to discover the name “Superfetch”. Right-click on it, choose “Properties”, select “Stop” on the pop-up windows, then select “Disabled” from the drop-down menu of ‘startup type’.
Method 2: Disable Superfetch Along with Command Line
- Step 1: You have to press Start and look for Command Prompt, do right-click, and then select “Run as administrator, and press “Yes” to continue.
- Step 2: You have to try the “net.exe stop Sysmain” command instead of the above-mentioned command is not valid.
- Then you have to wait for some time to see whether your computer has started to perform better or not. You can even check the CPU usage of your computer in Task Manager. When you look at the % in the Processes tab and find that it is not 100%, it means the problem is fixed.
Method 3: Disable Superfetch with the Use of Windows Registry
You can even disable the Superfetch using Windows Registry. You are just required to follow certain steps to disable it.
- Click the Windows + R alternatively, and then you have to type “Run” in the search box. After that, you should type Regedit in the “Open” box and then press enter.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Session Manager/MemoryManagement/PrefetchParameters on the Registry Editor Window.
- Press the command “Enabled Superfetch” and make its value to 0 to disable it. Then hit the “OK”.
After this procedure, restart your PC to see if the problem is fixed or not.
- How to Get Windows 10 System Interrupts 100 Percent
- Why iPhone Home Button Not Working How to Reset
- How to Fix Windows 10 Update Error
2. Troubleshoot the Service Host Superfetch to Fix High CPU Usage Issue
On updating the Windows, it leads to high CPU usage abnormally. However, you can run the troubleshooting once to fix the issue.
- Click the Windows key on the keyboard and then press “Control Panel”.
- Press “System and Security” by checking the category.
- Press “Security and Maintenance” and then click “Troubleshooting”.
- Now Press “Fix problems with Windows Update” and then hit Next.
- Press “Try troubleshooting as an administrator”.
What Is The Reason For Getting Superfetch High CPU Usage?
Well, we all know the importance of Superfetch that is to improve the system performance and optimize your PC’s boot time to run the application smoothly. But sometimes this Superfetch will be dangerous if it shows high disk usage in your pc which is the danger sign. And you need to check if your system is having the latest hardware.
The main reason for getting this issue is that Superfetch uses all the memory in your pc in order to load your applications and files which causes a high disk usage alert. This Superfetch high disk alert usually occurs because Superfetch uses the maximum ability and resources of your PC and responds to I/O requests. Normally it cleans the RAM and copies all the frequent and new accessed files. Once all the process is complete by Superfetch then your disk usage will decrease. Even though the disk usage is not reducing then it is a serious concern and you need to check your PC.
Is It Safe To Disable Service Host Superfetch?
Well, coming to this point it is completely safe and secure if you really want to disable the service host Superfetch as it doesn’t cause any malware or harmful effects to your Pc. But one thing you need to keep in mind is that it lowers your system performance by disabling the service.
We all know very well about the function of service host Superfetch is about improving the system performance and optimizing the boot time. But disabling it can cause some lag and irresponsive of regular and commonly used apps which makes you feel discomfort while using your PC. By enabling the service, you can feel a smoothly running application. So, it is up to you whether to enable or disable the service.
- How to Use Chromecast
- How to Fix Err_Connection_Reset in Chrome
- Methods to Fix Err_Cache_Miss Confirm Form Resubmission
Frequently Asked Questions?
- Question 1) Should I disable the service host for gaming?
Answer: Once PCs started to equip with SSDs on Windows 7 and onward editions, Windows automatically disabled Superfetch to enhance PC performance.
- Question 2) Why is Superfetch using so much disk?
Answer: Superfetch is like drive caching. It copies all your commonly used files to RAM. This allows programs to boot faster. However, if your system doesn’t have the latest hardware, Service Host Superfetch can easily cause high disk usage.
- Question 3) Is 100 percent disk usage bad?
Answer: Your disk working at or near 100 percent causes your computer to slow down and become lag and unresponsive which is some sort of a bad sign.
- Question 4) What is Superfetch new name and why it is not in service?
Answer: Superfetch is currently not in service as Microsoft has decided to change its display name to “Sysmain” in the new versions of windows.
This article is all about Service Host Superfetch and how to stop it to solve the problem of high CPU usage. By doing this, you can optimize the performance of your computer and make your CPU usage normal with the use of either Registry. Here in this article, we have mentioned 4 methods to fix high CPU usage make sure to follow them. For more information go through the entire article. If you have any doubts regarding this article please feel free to share with us in the comment section and if you found this article useful then share it with your loved ones.
Thank’s for choosing OM Geeky, for more updates visit back to omgeeky.com