If you are facing the Content file locked Steam error on your computer because of antivirus or steam attempt to update or launcher problems, then read more to Fix Steam Content File Locked.
Steam is the largest gaming platform for PC users around the world. Steam offers games with many essential facilities that are necessary for the perfect gaming experience. If you are accessing Steam for a very long time, then you must understand that Steam protects local games on your hard disk and modifications to these game files during upgrading. It has more adapt to keep all your content in one place, and high compatibility, Steam has good consuming time to the task, and It also requires a huge amount of to consuming task data Steam Content File Locked problem is common.
A “Steam Content File Locked” problem occurs while upgrading the preferred game. After opening the game file from another app or procedure, Windows sets it into a closed state, and you cannot remove or change it to another place. There is a high probability that you will face the “Steam Content File Locked” error when updating the game. But, with practical methods, you can fix the Steam problem quickly.
Let’s continue towards the extremely effective methods to fix this “Steam Content File Locked” Error.
- How to Fix Windows 10 Taskbar Not Working After Update 2022
- Why System Service Exception on Windows 10 Keeps Restarting
- PFN List Corrupt on Windows 10 2022
- How to Fix Inaccessible Boot Device Windows 10 on Command Prompt
Content Include on This Article
- 1 How to Fix “Steam Content File Locked” Error?
- 1.1 Check Antivirus
- 1.2 Reset Winsock Directory (WD)
- 1.3 Search and Repair Corrupted Files
- 1.4 Change Steam Installation Place and Game Files
- 1.5 Run Steam as Admin
Reasons For Steam Content File Locked Error:
There are many causes behind the Steam content file locking. Many common causes are as follows.
- When your preferred Antivirus is spoiling the Steam app.
- When your device has corrupted files.
- While upgrading the game title
- While installing the game title
- Steam and game files location is changed.
- At the time of changing the position of Steam and game files
How to Fix “Steam Content File Locked” Error?
Many great Antivirus troubleshooting solutions will help you solve the “Steam Content File Locked” error.
- At the time of upgrading any application or games in Steam, then NOD32 will stop working, and your system will show you the “Steam Content File Locked” error message.
- To fix this issue, you need to open the Directory of Steam on your PC.
- Generally, choose “Steam directory by default” that is C:\Program File\ Steam\ SteamApps\ common.
- Then, you have to copy this address and launch the Steam and paste the address from actual-time scanning.
- Now, restart your computer, and after restarting, your error will fix automatically.
- The first thing you have to do is first uninstalling or remove the complete Antivirus.
- Then, you have to upgrade your steam app.
- Now, open the Mcafee Antivirus on your device.
- Then, choose the bugs and Spyware security option.
- After that, close the actual-time scanning. Then, upgrade your Steam App.
- At last, you have to check the reliability of the game cache and files.
- First of all, you have to open the settings of Kaspersky.
- Then, go to the “Threads and Exclusions” section and press on the “Trusted zone” button.
- Then, add the “Steam.exe” set up file as a reliable app.
- After that, alter the settings to “Do Not Allow App Activity,” and allow the “Do not scan opened files” option.
- Lastly, confirm the reliability of the game cache & files & then restart the computer.
Reset Winsock Directory (WD)
- In the search bar, you have to mention the “cmd” and press the right tab on the “Command Prompt” and then choose the “Run as Administrator” option.
- On the next window, mention the following command: Netsh Winsock reset, and then click on the “Enter” tab.
- After the command is over; you will get the detail that successfully reset the Winsock Directory.
- Now, start the PC again, and then the Steam Content File Locked error will fix quickly.
Search and Repair Corrupted Files
- Firstly, you need to leave Steam and then redirect to your Steam directory.
- You can also redirect to a “Custom Location” page selected for the installation.
- Go to the ‘logs’ folder and open the ‘txt’ file.
- Then, find the latest errors.
- Now, redirect to the root file of the mod.
- After that, open the Steam app again and go to the download folder.
- It will ask you to upgrade the game. Follow instructions and update the necessary files.
- How to Fix Video TDR Failure atikmpag. sys on Windows 10
- Fix NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID Wildcard
- Why is My Airdrop Not Working
Change Steam Installation Place and Game Files
- First, search your “Steam client” option and then go to the “Settings” tab.
- Choose the “Downloads” and press on the “Steam Library Folders” button.
- On the next window, press on the “Add Library Folders” and choose the latest path to place the steam app.
- After this step, you will get the platform for all other set-ups to put in the selected folder.
- Then, on the next window, you have to exit the “Steam client” option.
- Discover your latest Steam place. Then, remove all the folders, and unnecessary files except “SteamApps and UserData Folder.”
- At last, open the “Steam” and log in again with your credentials.
Run Steam as Admin
- First of all, turn off the Steam app if it is working in the background. Then, you have to open the “task manager” by hitting the Ctrl+Shift+Esc> More Details tab.
- After that, you will see all the procedures working in the background. Then, search for “Steam Client Bootstrapper” in the catalog of methods.
- Then, press the right tab on the facility and choose the “End Task” option.
- Follow the similar for other Steam procedures operating in the background (Steam Client WebHelper, and Steam Client Service).
- Now, find the Steam set-up directory. Typically, this is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam.
- In the set-up folder, you can search the Steam.exe file. Choose the “Steam launcher” and press on the “Properties” option.
- Now, go to the “Compatibility” section in Steam Launcher Properties.
- Now, you will get the checkbox that shows, “Run this program as an admin.” Then, press the tick on the box once and hit on the “Apply” button.
- Now, open the Steam app from the Steam.exe launcher, and then you have to download the update.
- The “Steam Content File Locked” error will solve because of administrative laws.
Clear Steam Download Cache
The cache is a memory that stores recently executed functions to make fast access, the steam Download cache functions like another cache, within cache also error can accumulate ha causes to failed updates and content file Locked error. We can fix this error by clearing the steam cache, by following the procedure we can clear the cache.
Open steam, then click steam>Settings>Downloads and click Clear Download cache. Steam takes few minutes of time to complete, by clearing the cache you need to restart steam, this method can fix the steam errors.
Perform a Disk Scan
A disk scan is processed by scanning your system for errors and corrects if the disk has capable o fix ha error. You need to open the command prompt by searching in the search bar, then right-click the Start menu and select Run as administrator. To work operation you Have o use administrator privileges or It will not work.
After opening the command prompt type chkdsk c:/f and click enter. then you will type Y to scheduling confirmation. After scheduling before beginning the test you must restart your computer, scanning process starts scanning your system after completion of disk scans your system will work normally then It means the error is corrected.
Delete the Download Files
The main reason to encounter seam error is the game began to update or antivirus issues. while Downloading steam sometimes duplicate files or error files can sometimes cause steam to generate content file locked errors. To delete those files you need to follow the below steps.
Open C: > Program File(x86) > Steam > steam apps > downloading. If a file is stopped or opposes to download or update, delete those from this folder and then try to update it once more, Steam can update successfully.
- How to Remove Activation Lock Without Apple ID
- Methods to Fix Error Code 0x0002 Geforce Experience
- How to Fix IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal on Windows 11
The above-provided methods will help you to fix the Steam Content File Locked error. If the first one does not fix your issue, then try the other methods. After trying the above solutions, let us know if you found any other problem by mentioning your query in the comment section below. We will surely solve your question regarding the “Steam Content File Locked” error as soon as possible. So, stay in touch with our website.
Thank’s for choosing OM Geeky, for more updates, visit back to omgeeky.com
Myself Naveena, introducing myself new to this profession, I am so much fascinated to write the tech-based stuff and willing to write the expository and narrative topics and my main intention is to deliver and share the knowledge to users by interacting with them about the various technologies, I love cooking, gardening and travel.